History

Phone Box re-painted.  2-Nov 2016

Phone Box re-painted.
2-Nov 2016

LancahsireRedRose120Contact: Dave Roberts 01524 781766

Hotun, Dom. Bk.; Presthotone, 1307.

This township, formerly also called Nether Hutton, occupies a hilly tract 1,085 acres in extent (fn. 1) ; the surface is broken by numerous spurs of the hills to the north-east, the general descent, east to west, being from nearly 500 ft. above sea level at Dalton Park to less than 100 ft. near Tewitfield. The population in 1901 was 172.

A branch of the Lancaster and Kendal road goes through the western end of the township; from it a minor road extends south-east to the village, and then turns south to Borwick. The railway from Carnforth to Wennington runs through the eastern end, near the Keer. The Lancaster and Kendal Canal crosses the extreme south-west corner.

Matthew Hutton was born here in 1529, and, being educated at Cambridge, adopted Protestantism and became one of the leading divines in England after the accession of Elizabeth. He was Master of Pembroke College and Regius Professor in his University, and after holding a number of dignities became Bishop of Durham in 1589 and Archbishop of York in 1 596. In his later see he showed himself a vigorous persecutor of those who clung to the old religion and in 1604 wrote protesting against any relaxation of the laws concerning them. He died in 1606. He was thrice married, and purchased an estate at Marske in Yorkshire, where his descendants have since continued. He was a benefactor to his native place, founding the school and hospital at Warton. (fn. 2)

Thomas Wilson, 1747–1813, of mark as master of Clitheroe School, was another native; he is noticed among the rectors of Claughton. (fn. 3)

Manor

In 1066 HUTTON was, like Warton, one of the manors held by Torfin of Austwick. (fn. 4) Afterwards probably it was granted to the Lancaster family and assigned by them to the endowment of Warton Church, thus acquiring its distinctive prefix. (fn. 5) One moiety of the manor appears to have been retained by the rectors of Warton in demesne, forming an important part of the rectory manor, which included lands also in the remaining townships of the parish. (fn. 6) The other moiety was held of the rectors by the Lancasters of Caton (fn. 7) and their successors, Harrington (fn. 8) and Mounteagle. (fn. 9) Other land, though not called a part of the manor, was held by the Crofts of Tewitfield of the rector of Warton. (fn. 10) In 1331 a fourth part of the manor belonged to a family surnamed Hutton, of whose history nothing is known. (fn. 11)

Lord Mounteagle in 1594 sold or mortgaged his manor of Priest Hutton to Robert Bindloss, (fn. 12) and afterwards it descended like Borwick. (fn. 13) The Croft estate is later found in the possession of Washington, (fn. 14) Lawrence (fn. 15) and Middleton of Leighton. (fn. 16) One or two other names occur in the inquisitions. (fn. 17) It does not appear that any manor is claimed now.

Whitebeck Mill was in 1560 the subject of a dispute between Richard Ashton and George Middleton. The latter claimed under a lease from Lord Mounteagle to his father Gervase, and when plaintiff cut off the stream of water he ordered it to be turned on again. (fn. 18)

There is a Methodist chapel in the Tewitfield corner of Priest Hutton.

 

From: ‘Townships: Priest Hutton’, A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8 (1914), pp. 182-83. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=53293&strquery=%22de+lancaster% 22. Date accessed: 08 July 2007.

(1307):       Domesday Book  ref: “Hotun, Dom. Bk.; Presthotone, 1307”.

(1394):       Sir William de Lancaster. Born at Caton on the Monday before Michaelmas in 18 Edward III, and was 17 and unmarried when his father died. To Ireland in 1360s. Proved his age in 1366 (Inquisitio existsPaying 3s. 4d. rent for the right to fish in Rothmer, 1390-1394.
Or as per Ragg, he died 1398 “possessed of half the manor of Caton, and half Littledale and Priest Hutton in Lancashire; m. Christiana. Held dower until she died in 1406 of half Caton, half Priest Hutton and probably other tenements outside of Lancashire.

(1529):    Birth of  Matthew Hutton

 

(1700) Upp Hall Fish Ponds: http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=43060

(1839):     After 1834

The Lancaster Poor Law Union was formed on 10th December 1839. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 26 in number, representing its 19 constituent parishes as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):

County of Lancaster: Aldcliffe, Ashton with Stodday, Bulk, Carnforth, Cockerham, North and South Ellel (2), Heaton with Oxcliffe, Lancaster (6), Middleton, Overton, Overton Wyersdale, Priest Hutton, Scotforth, Silverdale, Skerton (2), Thurnham, Warton with Lindeth, Yealand Conyers, Yealand Redmayne.
Later Additions: Bolton le Sands (from 1869), Cockersand Abbey (from 1858), Heysham (from 1869), Morecambe (1924-28), Poulton Barre and Torrisholme (1869-1924), Slyne with Hest (from 1869).

(1850)@     Parish Map

(1862 –1949) Albert Wilson: Field Bryologist, lived in Pear Tree cottage.

(1870-72):     HUTTON-PRIEST, a township in Warton parish, Lancashire; near the Kendal canal, the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, and the boundary with Westmoreland 2¼ miles S of Burton-in-Kendal. Acres, 1,068. Real property, £1,628. Pop., 218. Houses, 47. There is an endowed school for girls.

John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)

(1881):    Canalfolk

Mates and dischargers of vessels  

Bowker Thomas  Priest Hutton 1891

Bulldog Thomas  Priest Hutton 1881

Jones William   Priest Hutton 1881

Oglethorpe William  Priest Hutton 1881

Smith Thomas  Priest Hutton 1881

 

(1914 1918)

                          For King and Country

The original village hall was erected following the World War of 1914 – 1918 in memory of those men from the villages of Borwick and Priest Hutton who were killed in that conflict.

The charity of Borwick and Priest Hutton War Memorial Hall was established in a conveyance dated 22cd Dec 1922. The Object of this charity was ‘ the provision and maintenance of a village hall for the use of the inhabitants of the parishes of Borwick and Priest Hutton and the neighbourhood without distinction of political, religious or other opinions, including use for meetings, lectures and classes, and for other forms of recreation and leisure –time occupation, with the object of improving the condition of life for the said inhabitants.’  

The names of the soldiers killed are recorded on the Roll of Honour which currently hangs on the staircase wall of the new hall.

This addition to the village website is an attempt to gather all the information available about those soldiers listed.

A visit to the War Graves of both World Wars is a moving experience, to see not only the vast numbers, but also ages of those young men. Full of the ideals and enthusiasm of the time, many had volunteered and left towns and villages, like our own never to return.

Thomas Barton Canby

Rifleman 3687. London Regiment.  (Queen Victoria’s Rifles ) 9th Battallion

Died 26th June 1915 aged 21 This was probably at the 2cd Battle of Ypres

Son of James and Alice Canby late of Brown Edge  Arkholme

Buried at Dickebusch New Military Cemetry Ypres Belgium ref. F27

Educated at Bentham Grammar School, Lancaster Royal Grammar School and Battersea College. Employed as a schoolmaster Hornsey

He is also remembered on the memorial plaque at Lancaster Royal Grammar School.

In the 1911 census he was living at  Mansergh House Borwick with his widowed mother    

Alice aged 50 and  three other siblings, Francis William 15, Annie Grace 14, and Richard

Irving 11. His father had farmed at Brown Edge Farm and his mother was born in Borwick.

All the children were born in Arkholme.

His brother Frank W Canby also served in the army and was reported missing 9th July 1915 shortly after Thomas was killed. Frank’s name does not appear on the Commomwealth War Graves list and it is assumed that he survived the war.

William Edward Hutchinson    

Private 15841 8th Battalion Border Regiment

Died 5th July 1916 Battle of the Somme aged 31

Born in Priest Hutton, son of Thomas and Jane Hutchinson, worked as a gardener for Mr Briggs of Linden Hall, having previously worked at Upp Hall Farm.  In the 1911 census he was still living in Priest Hutton with his parents, Thomas aged 67 from Burton in Kendal and Jane aged 69 from Milnthorpe.

He is remembered at the Thiepval Memeorial and therefore has no known grave. It was common at the time for those killed in action not to be identified and may have a grave with a headstone bearing the label “ A soldier of the Great War –known unto God”

Between the 2cd and 5th of July the 8th Border Regiment lost 146 men killed with only 31 having known graves.

The 8th Battalion of the Border regiment fought at this time just south of  Thiepval attempting to capture the Leipzig Redoubt.

The 8th Battalion was also known as the “Kendal Pals” recruited in Kendal, Windermere, and Keswick.

                                                                                             

Harry Warwick

Private 14684 8th Battalion Border Regiment

Died 1st Aug 1916 aged 21 years Battle of the Somme

Born in Chester son of Pearson and Isabella Warwick of East Lodge Capernwray,

employed as motor driver to Miss Townson of Borwick. His father, Pearson,, was 44 at the  time of his death worked as a gardener and came originally from Langwathby. Isabella, his mother was 43, and from Chester.  In 1911 Harry was the eldest of five children; Sydney 14, Elsie Gertrude11, Ethel Isabel 8, and William Pearson 6.  

He is remembered at the Thiepval Memeorial and therefore has no known grave.

When he was killed the Battalion was in the Beaumont Hammel area of the Somme battlefield.

Richard Moss

No picture

Private 201219 1st/4th Battalion King’s Own Lancaster Regiment

Died 13 Sept 1917 aged 32

Born in Priest Hutton and son of William Moss aged 73, and Mary aged 71 of West View,  Priest Hutton.

He had worked at Borwick Lodge farm and for the coal merchant at Silverdale. He had six older brothers and sisters James 47,Ellen 46, Christopher 40, Annie38, Thomas 36, and Ada 34.

His grave is at Longuenesse St Omer Souvenir Cemetry

At the time of his death his unit was involved in the 3rd Battle of Ypres also known as Paschendaele

George Myles Wilson

No picture

Private 32650 1st/5th Battalion King’s Own Lancaster Regiment . This unit was also known as the “Gallant two hundred”

Died 20th Sept 1917 aged 20 born in Borwick

Son of Joseph aged 54 and  Annie 47 Wilson of Linden Cottages Borwick . The cottages were situated on Snails Lane according to the census of 1901. Joseph worked as a domestic gardener.

Besides George Myles, there was also Margaret 26, Thomas Edward 22, and  Masie 18 in the family

His grave is at Mendinghem Cemetry West Vlaaderen Belgium

At the time of his death his unit was involved in the 3rd Battle of Ypres also known as Paschendaele.

                               

                                       

Thomas Moss

No picture

Private 49253 18th Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment

Died 7th Dec 1917 aged 34 He was born in Borwick but in the 1911 census was working for his father, William  Moss 63, at Brown Edge Farm Arkholme. At the farm were also his mother  Ann 65, and Joseph 44, William 35, Fred 32, Margaret 28 and Lucy 20

He is remembered at the Tyne Cot Memorial and therefore has no known grave.

At the time of his death his unit was involved in the 3rd Battle of Ypres also known as Paschendaele

It is strange that he would serve in a regiment recruited in Liverpool

Joseph Nelson Stott

No picture

Private 14672 8th Battalion Border Regiment

Died 23rd March 1918 aged 22 born in Lancaster, and son of Robert and Elizabeth. Also in the family were Eleanor 39, Sarah Agnes 37, Mary 35, Isabella 33, Robert Hodgson31, Jenny 29, Frank 25, John Richard 20, Emily Elizabeth 16

Joseph was employed on farm work by Mr Joseph Dugdale, Up Hall, Priest Hutton.

He is remembered at the Arras Memorial

At the time of his death his unit was overrun in the German Spring Offensive

The seven men listed on the Roll of Honour are not the only  soldiers with connections to the villages of Borwick and Priest Hutton that were killed in the First World War.

Harry Warwick’s brother, Sydney Warwick, Private 16338 11th Battalion Border Regiment  was killed 1st July 1916 aged 19, born in Arnside. This was the first day of the Battle of  the  Somme, and  exactly one month before his brother.

He was the son of Pearson and Isabella Warwick of East Lodge Capenwray and was employed at Cantsfield House.Tunstall  

His grave is at the Lonsdale Cemetry Authuile  

Of the 28 Officers and 800 men of 11th Battalion, the Lonsdales, that went ‘over the top’ on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, 26 Officers and 490 men were dead, wounded or missing at the end of the day. It took another 3 months before the capture of Mouquet    Farm, or Mucky farm, to the Tommies. This was the objective of the first day of the battle.

Alfred  Edward Gunn Private 27807 1st Battalion King’s Own Lancaster Regiment

Died 8th June 1918 aged 25 when his unit was in the battle of Bethune

He was the son of Alfred  54 and Jane Gunn aged 56 of The Green Priest Hutton and was brother of William 31, Margaret 30, Amelia 27, Annabella 23, Mary 21, and Sarah19 .Before the war he had worked on a farm in the Bentham area and this may explain the reason for his name not to be included on the village Roll of Honour.

His grave is at the Gonnehem British Cemetery near Bethune

Alfred Edward Gunn is also remembered at the Tatham Fells and Botton Roll of Honour

giving slightly different details from the official Common Wealth War Graves Commission.

The War Graves Commission has the most comprehensive and detailed information of all those killed in the military conflicts starting with the First World War.

A  most interesting  and sobering exercise is to enter ‘Carnforth’ in the search criteria on  their web site and noting the list of those killed in the area. Every town, village and hamlet around  had their share of loss.

(2007):   Website started: www.priesthutton.co.uk

(2014): BARN Fibre Optic live to Village Hall. 141031_barn_vh_cabinet 02